This is more of a technique than a recipe. We love fried fish in our house, the kids love it too (always a plus for a recipe). I wanted to make it a little healthier and a little easier, no one like standing over a pan of hot oil while you stink up your house with fried fish smell lol. So I devised this little technique to get crunchy fish right from the oven. Its simple and I guarantee you’ll never miss the deep fried fish your used to!
- Preheat oven to 450-500.
- Start with whatever thin sliced frozen whitefish you like (we use tilapia only).
- Put all your fish filets in a bowl of cold water.
- Prepare another bowl with cornmeal and salt (salt to your discretion).
- At this point you can add whatever seasonings you like, pepper, garlic salt, cayenne, whatever you like, we stick with just salt around here.
- Take a rimmed cookie sheet and add 3-5 T peanut oil (or canola) and coat the pan.
- Dip your fish in the cornmeal and place on baking sheet.
- Spray tops of fish with cooking oil and place pan in oven.
- Cook until fish is crispy and cooked through (depends of thickness of fish, but shouldn’t take too long)
There you go “fried” fish without the hassle.
fried fish, fish, tilapia, unfried, unfried fish